Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Begining

or is it really??? It may be the official beginning to my "blogging", but the story has been in the making for some time. I was born in the Philippines and lived there until I was 11 years old. I have fond memories of playing out in the rice paddies, eating mangoes, and climbing lanky bamboo trees. Despite the fact that my parents are the "only child" on either side of their families, there were always plenty of "cousins" that lived in our village. That's the "pinoy way", EVERYBODY is your cousin, regardless of blood relations. Suffice to say, I never lack for company or someone to play with. In July of 1988, our family of four (my mom: Arsenia, dad: Juanito, and older sister: Aileen), immigrated to the United States (thanks to my mother's 27 years of service to the US Air Force). We landed in Los Angeles, drove 2 1/2 hours north up interstate 5, and have lived in California ever since!!! The assimilation to the "American" culture began at this time. The challenge was keeping the balance between integrating these new values and preserving our traditional Filipino customs, as well.

In 1994, I graduated from high school and left the agricultural-based community of Delano, CA and moved to Northridge to attend the university there. A new beginning for me, in the cusp of adulthood!!! I couldn't fathom the possibilities and how my life was about to change. Two weeks into my freshman year, I knew that my life would never be the same again. He sat a couple of chairs to my right at the computer lab. In my frazzled state, I missed his chocolatey deep set eyes. This moment, I will also miss his gorgeous smile. I was too fixated in my own needs. I needed him to help me with the computer, so that I can do my Comp Sci homework. And help me, he did! The one thing that did not escape me, was his tranquil demeanor. My hyperactive, "bouncing off the wall" personality was immediately drawn to him. Eight years later, in a still spring morning in Malibu, I took my vows to be his wife! On May 18th, 2002...I became Mrs. Edward Rich!!! A title that I marvel at to this day, almost eight years later. Despite our trials and challenges, we have had many successes and joys as well. Everyday with him, is a beginning of wonderful possibilities! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment