Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What day is it?

I have forgotten what life was before this sweet beautiful little girl! In an instant, she changed our lives forever. If you've been around me during this process, I have often compared the adoption process with the gestation of an elephant. It has been a long journey to this point...but it's funny because I now barely remember it! I don't know if it's the lack of sleep but the I800's, I800a, notice of actions, USCIS, and whatever other hurdles there were...are just a memory now. The headache I had from sorting out forms has been replaced by a pleasant lightheadedness when I smell baby K's sweet milk breath. The finger cramps from filling out the dossier has been soothed by her chubby little fingers that holds my hand while we are out for walks or sleeping. The memories of multiple meltdowns on mommy's part has been calmed by the sound of a squealing toddler who called me momma out of the blue yesterday evening while she played on my lap. So in 72 hours, my life has become about fluffy cheeks, sweet milk breath, chubby little toes, and gentle little hands, cuddles, hugs, diapers (lots of diapers) and milk! We also have had some whining, a little bit of tears when going down to sleep last night, and some quiet moments, in which I know baby K is missing her foster family. But all in all, baby K has been the strongest in all of us. Amidst our tears yesterday at CRIBS, she did so well and didn't even cry. It's as if, she knew she was coming home. Everyone still thinks she looks just like me, including the foster family and the matching committee at CRIBS. During our visit with them, they sweetly affirmed that their decision to match us with our little baby K was a perfect one! I am so grateful that God guided all of those involved with the matching process to unite us. I know God's hand was upon them because, can't remember what our lives were before baby K, nor can imagine having ever existed without her. As I'm writing this, I am listening to her breathing while she sleeps. It takes longer to blog now, because I often have to stop and either plant a kiss on a cheek, gently squeeze chubby little fingers, and just marvel in awe at this wonderful blessing God has bestowed upon Edward and I. Then, I just get down on my knees by her bed and thank my Father in heaven for entrusting us with this amazing little person.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That post gave me goosebumps all over! You and Edward have been sooo blessed to be matched with this child, your perfect, sweet, amazing daughter! I can't even imagine how you felt when she called you mama. She has you all wrapped around her little finger forever more!!!!! That's exactly how it should be!! I have been dying to hear how things were going and I am thrilled to hear that it is going so well. Kristine is such a lucky little girl to have two wonderful parents and you guys are so blessed to have her. This was a match made in heaven for sure. God certainly does good work!! Enjoy this special time and be sure to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee pretty much summed up everything I was thinking and going to say. And I still have tears in my eyes. She called you "Mama" - hang on, I need to go get a new box of tissues, I'm in a big 'ole teary puddle of happiness for you. So, so amazing. Enjoy your blessing - I'm enjoying every update you so graciously provide us with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited as I read each message. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joy. Calling you Mama, just affirmed her love for you and Ed. She has now identified you both as her parents and has started her communication with you, her Mama. She is so lucky.I love your updates I will keep you all in my prayers. .

    ReplyDelete